[Msorchestra] Update from Weston Friends of Music

Cphedges at aol.com Cphedges at aol.com
Thu Jan 18 09:07:27 EST 2007

Happy New Year to all Weston music families!!

The music department had a very busy fall and holiday season, and Weston
Friends of Music (WFOM) was instrumental (hah!) in making it all happen smoothly
and efficiently for the directors and students.  Before we begin the next
wave of concerts and activities in the second half of our school year, I wanted
to update everyone on our activities, and acknowledge the efforts of many
people.

Thanks to Catherine Connolly for organizing refreshments  for the Pep Band
during WHS football games.  The musicians enjoyed snacks  and drinks in the band
room during halftime, and were given a break from playing  music during the
third quarter.

Our Masquerade and Winter Concerts all ran smoothly thanks to the efforts  of
many parents helping out with ticket sales, refreshments, chaperoning,
flowers, set change, etc -- but particular thanks go to our Chairs who organized
all of the volunteers: Sally Helfer (HS Band), Liz  Hochberger (HS Chorus),
Elizabeth Atkin (HS  Orchestra), Lali Haines (MS Band), Sandy  Coburn (MS
Chorus), and Kim Engler (MS  Orchestra).  Additionally, many thanks to Mary Duffey
who  was responsible for creating all of our concert programs.

Publicity for our concerts and music events has been at an all-time high
thanks to Glenn Harder, who has submitted dozens of photos with  narratives to
the Town Crier.  The full page spreads in several editions of  recent
Weston/Wayland Town Criers have been fantastic!

In addition, thanks to Ted Garland and his video students  for taping all of
our winter concerts.  Many of you have already  purchased these very
professionally-done CD's.  If you ordered one but  haven't picked it up yet, they are
available in the video room at the  HS.  If you would still like to purchase
one, please contact Ted at _garlandt at mail.weston.org_
(mailto:garlandt at mail.weston.org) .  They  can be purchased for $20, with checks payable to "Town of
Weston".

Our first-ever WFOM fall clothing sale was very successful due to the
efforts of Judy Harris and Elizabeth  Atkin for the MS/HS sale, and Sue McGinty  for
the sale at the elementary schools.  We brought in over $350 for our  music
department, but even more importantly, provided a much needed and  appreciated
service to Weston music families by providing an opportunity to  purchase
concert attire at incredibly low prices.  We will be looking to  collect your
outgrown concert attire in the spring in anticipation of our fall  sale next year.

An exciting development this fall was the establishment of separate
listserves for each of the music groups.  We now have an  efficient and all-inclusive
way to communicate with music families.  If you  would like an additional
email added to a particular listserve, or if you would  like to unsubscribe an
email address, please let me know at _cphedges at aol.com_ (mailto:cphedges at aol.com)
.

We will hold our next WFOM meeting on Friday, February 9th, at  8:00 am in
the HS Band Room.  We have a lot coming up,  including Jr. District and
All-State music festivals, the February Choral  Concert at Regis, our system-wide
concerts in March, two HS Pops Concerts in  April, and our Spring concerts.  It's
going to be very busy!

Thanks again to everyone for all of your help and support.  --  Christie
Hedges